The government website myagedcare.gov.au has a comprehensive list of private and government-funded providers and the Find a provider tool can help you find someone that can meet your needs. If you are not eligible for government funding, then you may still be able to access Help at Home services privately using the above search tool.
Questions to ask your provider
When talking to your potential home care provider, it is useful to find out the following information. Their answers may help you find out if they are the best fit for your lifestyle.
- How do you match carers to clients?
- Will I have the same carer each time?
- What flexibility is there in my care package?
- What happens if my needs change?
- How much notice do I need to give if I go on holidays or am away?
- What training do you provide your carers to help them maintain their standard of care?
- What qualifications do your carers have?
- What is the waiting list time for your services?
- What extra fees are involved, including start-up or exit fees?
- Are you independent or part of a franchise?
- Do you employ your staff or do you outsource to independent contractors in the area?
Plan management vs plan delivery
Once you have selected your approved provider, the government will pay them your allocated funding amount to cover your bills. It is important to note that even though your home care plan can only be managed by an approved provider, your care and services can be delivered by any provider, even those who are not government supported. While this can give you more flexibility in your service delivery, it is essential you understand who will be actually delivering your services.
Need more information or help?
Kalyra’s Help at Home team understands this process can be daunting for you and your family. If you would like support or need help organising your assessment for a home care plan, ask one or our team members to help guide you through on (08) 8278 0390 today.